When it comes to creating things from scratch, there’s nothing as good as making bread for your family. You get to choose the ingredients you want to use, and you can play around with the recipe as much as you want.
Let us take you through a simple and a great recipe for you to try bread making. This particular recipe will create a moist bread center and a soft crust – a combination that most people love.
Additionally, you get to use easily available ingredients. In fact, you will find that you already have most of them.
The recipe will also teach you about all the essential ingredients that are needed for making bread. You will also practice how to knead the dough and other techniques that can make your bread perfect.
Here’s the recipe.
Please prepare all of the ingredients before you start making the bread as it saves time, and ensures that you do not miss any of them. Here’s what you need.
- Warm water – ¾ cup
- Active dry yeast – 1 package of 2 ¼ teaspoons
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Milk – ½ cup
- Vegetable shortening – 1 tablespoon
- All purpose flour – 3 cups
Step by step process
Mixing the dough
The first thing you need to do when making bread is to make the dough. This is very easy to do, and after you have made a few more breads, it will be even easier than before!
- Put the warm water in a bowl.
- Stir in the yeast and keep stirring till it is dissolved.
- Add in the sugar, salt and milk and then stir everything to combine it all.
- Add in the shortening and then 2 cups of the flour.
- You can keep adding the flour one spoon at a time until the dough looks like its chasing the spoon around the bowl.
Kneading the dough
This step is extremely important, and it’s actually a stage that turns most people away from making bread because it takes time and practice. After a few more breads, you will be a natural.
- Put the dough you made above on a floured board and then start to knead.
- Knead it for about 10 minutes, and keep adding small spoonful’s of flour if needed, until it is nice and soft, and not sticky at all.
- You may have to use all the flour and a little more. Keep the surface floured at all times so it doesn’t stick to the board or your hands.
- After 10 minutes, it is time to let it rise. Put it in a buttered or greased bowl and then turn it upside down so the top part is greased.
- Cover and leave it to rise in a warm place or in the oven with the light on for like an hour, till you see that it has doubled in size.
- After one hour, punch it for a while.
- Then turn it on a floured board and start kneading again for 5 more minutes.
- Now, pre-heat the oven at 375 F.
- Form your dough into a loaf and then set it very gently on the greased bread pan.
- Cover and leave it to rise for around 30 minutes, or again, till it has doubled. If you have a chilly kitchen, you can place it in the oven with the light on.
- Shape the dough by cutting some slashes across it with a sharp knife.
- Put it in the oven and bake for around 45 minutes, when it turns golden brown.
- Remove when ready and let it cool.
- Enjoy the bread!
Bread making is a fun activity that can be done by the entire family. A pro tip – use bottled water instead of tap water as chlorine can kill the yeast.
You can brush the loaf with some milk or eggs, before making the bread. This will make the crust dark and shiny.
You can make bread making fun by experimenting with different things, such as using whole wheat flour and cumin seeds.